Re: Is it allowed to remove old changelog entries?

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
>I had some time ago a discussion with Paul Slootman in #85936 about the
>removal of old changelog entries. He did remove at one point all changelog
>entries except the latest on (and Raphael Bossek did recently the same in
>some of his packages). Paul simply closed #85936 with the comment
>
><--  snip  -->
>
>Please explain where in policy does it state that the COMPLETE
>changelog from years and years has to be retained.
>
><--  snip  -->
>
>It seems he's right and I can't find a place in the policy that forbids
>the deletion of old changelog entries or did I miss something?

With a complete repackaging from the ground up I can see his point,
although I'd have kept the old changelog in a separate file for
historical purposes.

Also see #82790, whose maintainer apparently never keeps more than one
changelog entry. Unfortunately, unless someone has the old changelog
entries and can NMU, not a lot can be done about it.