Re: "Defaults for satisfying dependencies - ordering" gone?

* Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> [010512 20:19]:
> Your point being? As it is, you're allowing all editors to be removed
> without dpkg bitching about it and suddenly all these programs calling
> editor will start failing.

And any user that comes complaining to policy because dpkg allowed him
or herself to remove all editors ought to be laughed at vigorously.

Herbert, while I see your concern, we really do have to let the end user
have some say about what goes onto his or her computer. And if that end
user can't see a need for a fancy editor, *fine*. That same end user
probably doesn't see the need for the programs that call editor.

And frankly, being without an editor isn't the end of the world. I know
I can think of several cheap replacements: dd, cat, echo, (with the help
of the shell, which btw also has here-documents), ftp, scp, rcp, smtpd,
perl one-liners, ... I leave finding more as an excersize for the reader.

If this was an actual problem suffered by actual users, I could see a
point to discussing it. I don't think it is, and I don't see a point.

--
Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.