Re: "Defaults for satisfying dependencies - ordering" gone?

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:51:30PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  [ ulterior motivation: one of my packages has a dependency on a purely
>  virtual package without an alternative, and the information got there
>  by means of a shlibs file.   I want to know if it's my package at fault
>  or the shlibs file from the corresponding -dev package. ]

-dev packages should not provide shlibs files.

I'm not clear on what regular library packages should do with their shlibs
files when there exist other library packages that provide the same ABI.

E.g.:

mesag3 and xlibmesa3 both provide "libgl1".

However, it does not make sense to me that xlibmesa3's shlibs file should
say:

libGL     1 xlibmesa3 | libgl1
libGLU    1 xlibmesa3 | libgl1

Because then mesag3's shlibs file would have to say:

libGL     1 mesag3 | libgl1
libGLU    1 mesag3 | libgl1

And the dependencies a package thus declared would thus depend on the build
environment even more than they already do.

Maybe that isn't a big deal, but it feels wrong to me.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   It's not a matter of alienating authors.
Debian GNU/Linux                |   They have every right to license their