Re: only release packages that have maintainers?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 08:57:39PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Brian Russo wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:56:04PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > >
> > > Then I'll adopt all the packages that don't have a maintainer and send
> > > RFAs for them (like I did with several of the packages tbm wanted to
> > > remove). But I take care about them when the maintainer is set to Debian
> > > QA, too, so I can't see the big difference.
> >
> > Yes, well as I've said to tbm, 1) adopting a package just to 'save'
> > it, without really caring/wanting it just perpetuates old crufty
>
> I care about these packages:
> - they have no open RC bugs
> - I fix all other bugs I can fix without spending too much time
> - they have all a Standards-Version <= 3.1
>   (that means their Standards-Version is higher than the one of 25%
>    of the packages in Debian!)

eh?

example: saml
There is 7 open bugs on it (1 serious, 6 normal, 1 wishlist)
Standards-Version: 2.3.0.1
upstream last touched it approximately /four/ years ago.

Not all orphaned packages are like this, but there are a fair
number. I'm not talking about the packages that have been orphaned
for only a few months.

> > packages in Debian, while some of these ancient neglected packages
> > are just.. neglected, others are genuinely useless I think,
> > otherwise would someone not have cared, and grabbed it?
>
> I remember that "silo" was orphaned for several months before someone
> adopted it...

I'm not talking about several months, more like 1 year+, there are
many of these in wnpp.

> > Which brings me to 2) can we get rid of more of these old crufty
> > ones? Everyone is so afraid do this, else they'll get flamed for
> > being evil and removing old packages! indeed the impertinence.
>
> How do you decide if something is "old crufty"? I believe that of "Our
> Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" and that's why I want that
> there's a good reason when a package gets removed.

If something has been abandoned for a 1 year and a half, you don't
think it's crufty?

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux <wolfie@debian.org> http://www.debian.org