Re: native pkg versioning (was Re: Question about native packages)

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:54:04PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

[re: non-debian specific programs whose author/maintainer also
maintains the debian package.]

> Some people don't want to do worry about this, so these people can use
> native format, and not have to worry about the extra diff file.

They can indeed, but I think the point is that we want to try to
discourage this, especially for big packages, due to the extra load on
the mirrors.  It's not against the rules, it's merely rude, as it were.

On the other hand, it's a sign of laziness, and I think laziness is a
virtue, so I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  In general,
laziness can be a great boon if applied intelligently ("I'm tired of
adding up columns and rows of numbers all the time, I think I'll
invent the spreadsheet so the computer can do this for me.")  I think
the best thing is to continue to allow this, and only complain in
cases where the package is so large, and uploaded so frequently, that
it really is a problem for our mirrors.

--
Chris Waters      |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org  |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single