Re: native pkg versioning (was Re: Question about native packages)

    Chris> On the other hand, it's a sign of laziness, and I think
    Chris> laziness is a virtue, so I have mixed feelings about the
    Chris> whole thing.  In general, laziness can be a great boon if
    Chris> applied intelligently ("I'm tired of adding up columns and
    Chris> rows of numbers all the time, I think I'll invent the
    Chris> spreadsheet so the computer can do this for me.")  I think
    Chris> the best thing is to continue to allow this, and only
    Chris> complain in cases where the package is so large, and
    Chris> uploaded so frequently, that it really is a problem for our
    Chris> mirrors.

I disagree. Why should dpkg, for instance, which is specific to Debian
come with a diff format.

So maybe native format might be used when it shouldn't, but that
doesn't mean that some applications exist. IMHO all packages that are
specific to Debian (eg. use on other platforms is not supported) fall
into this category.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>