Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:38:40AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> That means if you use an algorithm that is patented in Germany
> the package will be in non-us? You better rename this "non-US"
> to "patented/main" and add the other needed "patented/contrib",
> "patented/non-free" and "patented/non-US/non-free".

renaming non-us to "patented" would be like waving a red flag at a bull(*).

sure, everyone knows that patent issues are one of the reasons for the
existence of non-US but it doesn't do anyone any good to go out of our
way to invite legal attacks.

better to call it "free-world" :)

(*) yes, i know bulls go for the motion and not the colour, but the
phrase sounds better than "gesticulating with a piece of cloth of
indeterminate colour at a male animal of the bovine persuasion".

craig

--
craig sanders