Re: unusable examples in apckages ...

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 12:27:59PM -0700, Carl R. Witty wrote:

> (Note that if this becomes a "must", the easiest way to bring a
> package into compliance is just to remove any examples.  I'd rather
> have it as "should" because I'd rather see uncompilable examples (I
> could at least read the source code) than no examples at all.)

   This is exactly what I've done with the latest gtkglarea packages. The
README.Debian listed compile flags that could have been used to compile the
examples (simple things with no build dependencies), but there were a number
of bug reports about being unable to type make, so I've deleted them and
recommended apt-get source gtkglarea4-dev instead.  This has some advantages
over putting the examples in the -dev: it goes in the archive once rather
than architectures+1 times, it doesn't occupy space where it isn't needed
(the -dev.deb is smaller), it builds in it's native hierarchy (not some
debian-specific hack), and source files are uncompressed and owned by the
installing user, not root.  And it's very easy to do for both the maintainer
and the user - easier than cp -r /usr/doc/package/examples package-examples
; gunzip -r package-examples anyway.