Re: unusable examples in apckages ...

Sven LUTHER <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> if a package contains examples that need to be compiled, they must be in such
> a state in the package that the user can just copy the directory to its home
> directory (or /tmp/ or wherever) and build the examples with no more hassle
> than typing ./configure and/or make.

I think "must" is too strong for this; it's a good requirement, but I
think it should be a "should".

(Note that if this becomes a "must", the easiest way to bring a
package into compliance is just to remove any examples.  I'd rather
have it as "should" because I'd rather see uncompilable examples (I
could at least read the source code) than no examples at all.)

Carl Witty

p.s. I am not a Debian developer.