Re: I have a beef with policy 3.3.3

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 03:59:42AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > update-rc.d has no way of knowing if the symlinks in the rc directories
> > > aren't there because the local admin removed them, or because the package
> > > was just installed.
> > So you should leave the K scripts about, rather than completely removing
> > all the links. Or changing the word `start' in /etc/init.d/xdm to `begin',
> > or so.
> What an unspeakable kludge!

:)

> How about letting people use update-rc.d and work as its manpage advertises?

That'd be too easy.

> So, why isn't it policy for packages to update-rc.d their init scripts only
> on initial install?  Policy just tells them to do in the postinst, period
> -- which means unconditionally by implication.

I'm not sure how that interacts with removal vs purging, btw.

The other problem with merely changing the rc?.d symlinks is that when you
do `/etc/init.d/xdm restart' (which you don't do for xdm, but is desirable
for other things) it doesn't do the Right Thing. There're start-rc.d scripts
floating around that probably fix this, but ought to be endorsed by policy
and included in the appropriate packages.

There's also a few problems with the ordering of scripts. portmap probably
ought to be moved to rcS.d, bootmisc.sh probably should be earlier,
there probably ought to be a umountnfs script called before networking
is shut down, possibly user processes should be killed before networking is
shutdown (in case they're using NFS mounts), but root processes shouldn't be
(in case they're daemons that keep networking up in the first place), so
possibly sendsigs ought to be changed.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark