Re: I have a beef with policy 3.3.3

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 01:59:15PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> update-rc.d has no way of knowing if the symlinks in the rc directories
> aren't there because the local admin removed them, or because the package
> was just installed.

So you should leave the K scripts about, rather than completely removing
all the links. Or changing the word `start' in /etc/init.d/xdm to `begin',
or so.

>  A postinst script cannot distinguish between an
> initial install and an upgrade, therefore you can't add some kind of
> conditional around the update-rc.d call in the postinst.

if [ "$1" = "configure" -a -z "$2" ]; then
	: initial install
fi

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark