Re: cleaning up our task packages

Branden Robinson wrote:
> The singular of "criteria" is "criterion".

I can't belive youy started out like that ...

> Sounds good to me except that I think distinct, integrated desktop
> environments comprising many packages should each be able to have tasks.
> This means I think there should be a task-gnome equivalent to task-kde.
> (AFAIK, the XFCE desktop is all in one package.  Maybe two.)

... and went on to say something useful. :-)

Well, I think we should have a task-desktop that includes either one,
or, if we really cannot make up our minds, _both_.

> This is partly for political reasons; the KDE/GNOME war is not going to be
> over for a long time, and it's just too much of a headache for us to be
> seen as taking sides in this.

Yes, but it also sucks to be forced to prominantly display the scizm
caused by that war right in the middle of our installation process.

> I would furthermore suggest that localization tasks have some extra
> structure placed upon their names: e.g., task-language-zh,
> task-language-ja, etc.

I have some other ideas about those, they can just be automatically
selected based on the language the system was installed with, no need
for tasks.

> I think the task package approach needs to be fundamentally re-thought,
> really.  At Progeny we're adopting the concept of "package sets", and that
> should be public really soon if it isn't already.  I'll ask about it.

If we aren't able to settle on a policy for tasks, the current system is
going to become an absolutely unusable mess by the time we release, and
we will have to just scrap it, that's for sure.

--
see shy jo