Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:40:27AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Sounds good to me except that I think distinct, integrated desktop
> environments comprising many packages should each be able to have tasks.
> This means I think there should be a task-gnome equivalent to task-kde.
> (AFAIK, the XFCE desktop is all in one package.  Maybe two.)
>
> This is partly for political reasons; the KDE/GNOME war is not going to be
> over for a long time, and it's just too much of a headache for us to be
> seen as taking sides in this.
>
> I would furthermore suggest that localization tasks have some extra
> structure placed upon their names: e.g., task-language-zh,
> task-language-ja, etc.

i like this idea

perhaps it could be extended to other things, too.
there is a similar problem with devel tools

what about these names:

task-language-whatever
task-desktop-gnome, task-desktop-kde
task-programming-c, task-programming-whatever

these could be displayed in a hierarchy, like ben suggested,
or in different screens

but in both cases, tasksel should display a general selection first
(select if the user wants special language support, if he wants to use a
 desktop environment, if he wants to program)
if one of these is selected, tasksel can popup all the task packages associated
with it.

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________