Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

>>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

 Thomas> However, Debian is in a different position, and the problem is that
 Thomas> people can and do pull .debs off the Debian site and install them on
 Thomas> other distros.  The license really does require that we give them a
 Thomas> copy of the GPL, and that's a reasonable requirement.

	I can pull single files off the FSF's ftp archive and not
 download the COPYING file. Is the FSF in violation as well? We
 seem to be in august company, then.

 Thomas> Those people don't even have any good way to find out where the
 Thomas> license *is* if they don't already know about it.  This is the kind of
 Thomas> problem that the current situation has.

	They can read a COPYRIGHT file in the package. dpkg -L can
 tell them. Looking into /usr/share/doc/ shall tell them. The user not
 knowing where the copyright exists (duh -- I did not think that the
 file called COPYING has a copyright notice -- so you are bad, bad) is
 not really a telling argument.

	manoj
--
 "Every opportunity we have to run our R&D scientists and engineers
 against our customers, we do it." George Heilmeier, Texas Instruments