Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:40:11PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > A more authoritive source disagrees with you.. RMS wrote the GPL
> > so I'll trust his opinion above yours.
>
> Ehm, Wichert, you wrote a [PROPOSAL] not a [DO IT NOW] message, so I
> think we could discuss about it.
>
> I'm wondering about the meaning of "distribution". *Our* distribution is
> the whole distro or a single package? What do we distribute? And if we
> distribute a single package too, can we distribute GPL text in the same
> place (more or less) and in the same way (mirror or cd for example)? Or
> should GPL mean that GPL is *inside* the package?
>
> Am I clear?
>
> --
> Christian Surchi   |   csurchi@debian.org   |   christian@firenze.linux.it
> FLUG: http://www.firenze.linux.it | Debian GNU/Linux: http://www.debian.org
> -----------------> http://www.firenze.linux.it/~csurchi <------------------
> If you want to be ruined, marry a rich woman.		-- Michelet
>

> --

Why not simply include the GPL file in each package and replace it with an
hard-link to the common copy in the package postinst?
In this way we can make RMS happy and still have one real copy of the GPL.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |