Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

On Nov 25, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:28:44 +0100, Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> wrote:
> > Origin gives a package a way to indicate where it is coming from.
> > This can be used to find information about its origin in
> > /etc/dpkg/origins/<origin>. The origin information file there
> > can list an Bugs field that overrides the Bugs field in the package
> > itself.
>
> I think the package should be able to override any default origin
> data, not the other way around.

I'm not sure that's wise.  The Bugs field seems to be there in case
your dpkg doesn't have the correct origin information installed (for
example, you install a Progeny package but not progeny-base or
whatever package provides /etc/origins/dpkg/progeny).

> Also, I think Origin: Debian packages should not specify a Bugs field,
> since bugs for all Debian packages should go to the default BTS URL.

Agreed, this does seem superfluous.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence