Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

 Raul> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 02:48:18PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Would this not be easier done by having a mapping done at
 >> unpack/install time, and then only scripts/programs with hard coded
 >> paths need be changed?

 Raul> Uh.. to the best of my knowledge, most packages which use these
 Raul> paths "hard code" them in some file.  Maybe you're suggesting
 Raul> that, if we adopt this convention, programs could start using
 Raul> this system (or something like it) at run time?

	Really? I find I seldom have to use full path names for
 binaries (I expect ls, grep, et al to be in the PATH, as they
 should). I *NEVER* hard code the so called sbindir; and I think that
 scripts should not, precisely for this reason.

	If you need something that is not in the FHS PATH, I guess
 calling a global config script is not unreasonable, _as an option_.

	I am quite certain that installing in /opt or installing in
 /some/path/that/I/control sohuld be a dpkg option, and certainly
 should not bleed over into package maintainer scripts.

	manoj
--
 I have more hit points that you can possible imagine.