Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

    Anthony> dpkg already knows this, and it can already be determined
    Anthony> by looking for "Unpacking ..." or "Setting up ...".

    >> - current task for this package, as generated by dpkg-log

    Anthony> Which is exactly what this would be outputting.

Only the current "dpkg task", not the current "postinst task" or
("subtask" to put it another way).

    >> - this list could highlight more important events based on the
    >> parameters based to dpkg-log.

    Anthony> What events here are so important? Why even bother
    Anthony> displaying the ones that aren't important?

You seem to imply that a good system is one which generates no output,
except for what package is being installed, and perhaps what state
dpkg is in when installing it.

Isn't this the very reason people hate Windows or Red-hat installation
programs/scripts? - ie. you can't tell what is happening behind the
scenes.

At least, that is the impression I got listening to other people.

I think a better system would be to let the user decide how much
detailed information he wants to see, and to do this the program needs
to be able to determine the priority of various messages.

ie. similar to why priorities are needed for debconf.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>