Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 01:33:34PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > This means future debs can't be installed with the current dpkg. It
> > means future dpkg's can never output anything. It means all debs that do
> > anything important in their postinst need an --assert-somethingorother
> > in their preinst.  Seems like needless complexity to me.

With emphasis on the "needless".

> Well, the changes to dpkg are already propelling us to this eventuality
> and there is no migration plan.
>
> Why don't we make one, and solve these problems too?

We already have a migration plan for incompatible changes to dpkg: use
--assert-somethingorother in the preinst. This seems to have worked
relatively okay for predepends and epochs. Versioned provisions seem
like a fairly similar addition that will be able to be handled in much
the same way. Was there something else you were referring to?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark