Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > > This means future debs can't be installed with the current dpkg. It
> > > means future dpkg's can never output anything. It means all debs that do
> > > anything important in their postinst need an --assert-somethingorother
> > > in their preinst.  Seems like needless complexity to me.
>
> With emphasis on the "needless".

I think it is important, hardly needless.

> > Why don't we make one, and solve these problems too?

> We already have a migration plan for incompatible changes to dpkg: use
> --assert-somethingorother in the preinst. This seems to have worked

We haven't had to use something like that in a long time. I don't think
it will be as effective these days.

> like a fairly similar addition that will be able to be handled in much
> the same way. Was there something else you were referring to?

The upgrade problems with versioned provides can't be handled by a
--assert thingy, dpkg and apt will have to be upgraded to versions that
understand them before they can be safely used at all.

At least with the dpkg-log idea it is fairly easy to have compatibility, a
couple lines of shell script will do it just fine.

Jason