Re: A thought on urgency

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> > as it is to a tool -> higher = important bug fixes.
>
> higher = important bug fixes at some unspecified point in the past.
>
> If a user sees one package with Urgency-Serial = 1109 and another with
> Urgency-Serial = 10, which will they think is more ugent? It won't
> matter that the first is sendmail and had a bunch of security holes 5 to
> 10 years ago, while the second is a new urgent upload.

If a user sees one package with version 1.23 and another with version
0.3, which will they think is newer? It won't matter that the first is
some new gnome package while the second is using a different versioning
scheme.

We already have versions which are not comparable outside the package they
are declared for - this is a fundamental concept in our system - a
per-package serial has a direct parallel.

Perhaps it just needs a better name? Security-History ? Exploits-Fixed ?
I donno.

Jason