Re: A thought on urgency

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > We already get enough oops-LAST-version-was-HIGH-priority-not-this-one
> > uploads with it in the changelog. Putting it in the control file will
> > just make them more common.
>
> Actually it should make it less common because you have to explicitly go
> and increment that field. If you don't then the priority is automatically
> low.

Ok, you're right.

> What is that field in the change log used for anyhow? Maybe just tank it
> :P

It is visible to the ftp admins, that is all.

> I don't see how a number is not readable.. We already have version
> numbers that define order.
>
> I don't see your objection to a number.. It is about as opaque to a user
> as it is to a tool -> higher = important bug fixes.

higher = important bug fixes at some unspecified point in the past.

If a user sees one package with Urgency-Serial = 1109 and another with
Urgency-Serial = 10, which will they think is more ugent? It won't
matter that the first is sendmail and had a bunch of security holes 5 to
10 years ago, while the second is a new urgent upload.

--
see shy jo