there are different variables mentioned in the footnote about debugging and stripping binaries

Hi,

The footnote of the section I just filed a bug about says:

   Rationale: Building by default with -g causes more wasted CPU cycles since
   the information is stripped away anyway. The package can by default build
   without -g if it also provides a mechanism to easily be rebuilt with
   debugging information. This can be done by providing a "build-debug" make
   target, or allowing the user to specify "BUILD_DEBUG=yes" in the
   environment while compiling that package.

I don't get it. Which is it, then, BUILD_DEBUG=yes or
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=debug ?

And...

     * There will be much less wasted cpu time for the autobuilders since not
       having debugging information (and hence also not having to strip it)
       will increase the speed of compiles. This skips an entire pass of the
       compiler,

That last character should be a full-stop, or is there text missing after
it?