Re: ITP seahorse

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 07:46:11PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> Has anyone submitted the non-US tree to Treasury so that it can be
> reviewed and exported legally?

There is little point in doing this at the moment; the current regulations
are provisional and up for review soon (next month, I believe).  We're all
familiar with the rapid pace of Debian releases; it seems likely that even
the engine of the U.S. government can move faster than we do.

Furthermore, given the present administration's extremely unfriendly
approach to anything resembling Fourth Amendment rights (cf.
<http://cryptome.org/4th-sneaky.htm>), I don't think it is reasonable to
compel Debian developers under U.S. jurisdiction to submit themselves to
that government for scrutiny.  Neither of the two major party presidential
candidates this year have an established precedent of anything but the sale
of policy to the highest bidder, therefore it is impossible to predict
where U.S. crypto regulations will go in the near future.  Congress appears
unwilling to wrest authority over crypto policy away from the mercurial
executive, so we can expect continued dickering.

> Unless somebody's done that, the current export control laws still
> prevent export of it...They've been LOOSENED, not eliminated.

This is exactly why we should continue to not dirty our hands with the
bureaucracy, and gear default Debian installations towards retrieval of
packages from the non-US archives via the net whenever possible.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |    Mob rule isn't any prettier just because