/etc/motd references BOTH /usr/doc/*/copyright AND /usr/share/doc/*/copyright

Hi,
        This is my take on the subject. An  user should not need to
 know about /usr/share/doc; mentioning it, espescially with the
 wording that implies that one needs look into both dirs to be sure,
 is exactly the kind of user interface lossage we were trying to
 avoid.

        /usr/doc symlinks are in place for human backward
 compatibility, but, more importantly, to assure that all docs are
 found under one location, namely, /usr/doc/ for potato, and
 /usr/share/doc in woody.  In either release, we should be able to
 just look into one location for the copyright files.

        Therefore mentioning /usr/share/doc to users should be
 deprecated in potato; in potato all references should go through
 /usr/doc/<blah>/. When woody is relaesed, we shall tell the end user
 about the new location, but still retain backward compatibility with
 the old location.

         However, whether this is a release critical bug is
 open to debate.

        manoj
--
 Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it
 is too dark to read.