Re: Updating the BTS, in preparation for a policy package update

Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>        Umm, I have a little problem with this statement, as it
> stands. The implication (and perhaps I am mis interpreting this)
> seems to be that the policy documents are merely extended
> documentation for dpkg and friends; and dpkg can change behaviour and
> policy must follow suit.

Okay, let me put it another way: I haven't read the actual proposal, but
looking at the bug title is makes the naming that we have been using for
packages policy. What that patch did was take advantage of that naming
so dpkg can check name and version of a package without having to
extract it. This drastically speeds it up if you do a recursive scan,
especially when cd NFS or cdrom is involved.

Since this naming has been used since it was introduced years ago and
I would like to take advantage of that. I see this more as documenting
what has already been unwritten policy for years.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |