Re: Debian and FHS

>>"Juergen" == Juergen A Erhard <jae@ilk.de> writes:

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >>>> "Steve" == Steve Robbins <steve@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca> writes:
 Steve> Thanks.  I wasn't sure whether the general public could make proposals.

 Manoj> Actually, formal proposals still have to be made by
 Manoj> a developer: since the proposer is also a second. But you
 Manoj> can make suggestions, and just convince developers to take
 Manoj> it to the next stage.

 Juergen> I'd say (and I took it that way when I proposed 44922), that
 Juergen> anyone can make a (formal) proposal.  *If* the proposer is
 Juergen> not a maintainer, it needs one second more than when the
 Juergen> proposer *is* a maintainer.

        I guess we goofed. From this point on, I'll try to be more
 careful about checking peoples names against the ldap database.

 Manoj> Umm, we like to keep things informal around
 Manoj> here. So that document kinda reflects the way things are
 Manoj> done, without having the weight of policy.

 Juergen> How can we make *formal* proposals based on an *informal* document?
 Juergen> This does not quite compute, sorry.

        Uhh? I think we could have formal proposals based on
 ``customary practice'', so I fail to see why we need something that
 has more weight than

 Manoj> I think the intent was that only Debian developers
 Manoj> make formal proposals and second the proposal; and only
 Manoj> developers can offer formal objections to it.

 Juergen> I don't know what your intent was (and if you just "think the intent
 Juergen> was", it seems you don't know either ;-)

        That is a figure of speech. I didn't want to appear to be
 laying down he law, but I definitely do know the intent of the author
 of the proposal.

 Juergen> But I think the intent of a (formal or informal) proposal process
 Juergen> should be to gather as many good ideas as possible.

        Yup. That's why this is an open list.

 Juergen> Sorry, but I do (and no-one complained about 44922... not even you
 >> ;-)

        Do you want me to go back and nyullify that proposal? ;-) That is
 easily done, you know.

        As such, I say a mistake was made, and I'll try and see of I
 can automate the checking of peoples names in the lpad database.

        manoj
--
 The mind goes wandering off far and wide alone. Incorporeal, it
 dwells in the cavern of the heart. Those who keep it under control