Making /usr/doc/XXX symbolic link to ../share/doc/XXX is BAD idea

reassign 47298 debian-policy
thanks

Hi,

        If this is a bug, then it needs to be fixed for all packages,
 not just libcgi-perl.

 Marc> Due to lack of space on the main partition, I moved /usr/doc to
 Marc> some other partition (let's call it /DISK2) and made /usr/doc
 Marc> to be a symbolic link to /DYSK2/doc. Unfortunately, during next
 Marc> upgrade I found, that:

 Marc> - in Debian potato some packages documentation goes to /usr/share/doc
 Marc>   (your decision, I'll not complain)
 Marc> - some of those packages (including those two I describe above) try to
 Marc>   create /usr/doc/PACKAGE to be an symbolic link to /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE
 Marc>   (I guess "compatibility"...)
 Marc> - unfortunately, they create those links as relative links - what does
 Marc>   not work correctly in my configuration: for instance creating in
 Marc>   /usr/doc (in my config symlink to /DISK2/doc) - symbolic link to
 Marc>   ../share/doc results in invalid link to /DISK2/share/doc (directory,
 Marc>   which does not exist)

 Marc> Solution: I recommend creating absolute links instead of relative (i.e.
 Marc> symlinking to /usr/share/doc/XXX, not to ../share/doc/XXX).

        manoj
--
 AmigaDOS Beer: The company has gone out of business, but their recipe
 has been picked up by some weird German company, so now this beer