Re: missing FHS archives

At 18:15 +1100 2000-01-25, Brian May wrote:
>    Marcus> GNU (read: the Hurd) is using /libexec (we don't have
>    Marcus> /usr) as well.  It is a good idea for some stuff IMHO.
>    Marcus> The FHS should probably reconsider its point of view.
>
>I think /usr/libexec (or /libexec on the Hurd) is a good
>place to put small daemons like telnetd, ftpd, etc, that
>only have one file (the executable).
>
>I guess you could also have
>
>/usr/lib/ftpd/ftpd
>/usr/lib/telnetd/telnetd
>/usr/lib/midentd/identd
>etc
>
>but having one file per directory seems a bit wasteful, to
>me.

The reason FHS doesn't have /usr/libexec is that /usr/lib in FHS is defined
loosely enough that it can serve every purpose that /usr/libexec does.
Individual binaries are allowed in /usr/lib (e.g. libc6: /usr/lib/pt_chown)
and a collection of related binaries can be put in a subdir of /usr/lib.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>