Re: policy summary (new packages without man pages)

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 01:11:44PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:

> It is not the job of the Debian maintainer to write the upstream
> package. The job of the Debian maintainer is to package the
> existing upstream package in a form convenient for Debian users in
> a way that is complementary to the rest of the system.

Indeed.  Consider, though, that writing a small manpage that points
at existing documentation is not onerous.  It is about as hard as
figuring out how to create a menu entry.  I think it's part of the
packaging process.

If a package doesn't have *any* documentation, then there's not much
point in packaging it -- only people who have source code will be
able to use it.

Richard Braakman