Re: Where should IMAP look for mail folders?

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> In article <cistron.873e2vbi7u.fsf@cush.dyn.ez-ip.net>,
> Daniel Martin  <Daniel.Martin@jhu.edu> wrote:
> >I'm actually surprised that there seem to be so few dfsg-free imapd
> >implementations - it certainly seems like something that's easier to
> >do than an smtp daemon, and goodness knows people don't tire of
> >reinventing that particular wheel.
>
> I'll have to write one within the next few months. I already did a
> new (fast!) POP3 server that understands both maildir and mbox formats..

Assuming that wasn't sarcasm (and I doubt that it was), you may look
into helping out the nini project, which is the only other dfsg free
project I could find in this direction (granted, I didn't look too
hard)

http://snork.capybara.org/~george/nini/

Of course, I also understand the appeal of writing your own server
from scratch (I recently hacked together a minimal pop server in perl
and emacs lisp to get my mail, but only after gnus had done its
sorting magic; I even had apop support).