Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:

> Brederlow wrote:
> > > [No, Jason, apt doesn't count, since not everyone uses it.]
> >
> > Why don't we kick out dpkg and use apt only?
>
> Umm, maybe because apt is a frontend to dpkg?
>
> > Both should be merged into one WORKING binary or at least the dpkg
> > should be used only internally and not by the user.
>
> No.  apt has some "features" which make it impossible to use on some
> system.  Apt is a nice frontend for a lot of people.  This is the way
> it should be.  Period.

Why not merge both programs into one? The features of both programs
could be joined to ONE and the different behaviours could be selected
via configfile and/or overwritten by command flags.

I would like to have a --force-depends for apt, or be able to do
"apt-get install <path>/foobar.deb" when <path> is not a path that apt
knows.

I know both programs have some functions that are realy needed and
some functions that are similar. We need the features from both
programs, but we don't need both programms.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin