Re: Why -g flag?

jdg@maths.qmw.ac.uk (Julian Gilbey) writes:

> Looking at the policy, section 4.1, it seems that Debian encourages
> building packages with the -g comilation flag.  But although that

How often have I got a segfault from a prog and longed to use gdb on
it? Must be millions.

The debian package, although compiled with -g, are stipped during the
build process, so no size increase is caused for the upload. Just the
local version of the maintainer contains debug symbols, so he can
debug it.

I think binaries for unstable should not be stripped, but binaries for
stable should be. Unstable binaries are unstable and thus debug
symbols are handy when a bug appears. Stable binaries should not have
bug and normal users don't know how to track a bug with gdb (or just
don't care about). For stable the size gain outweights the information
loss. For unstable its the otherway around.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: I have to read the section about how to make a policy suggestion. :)