Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 03:48:55PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     Tomasz> SERIOUS SUGGESTION FOR WOODY : we should get rid of all
>     Tomasz> gif-making packages except 1 package a2gif in non-free,
>     Tomasz> which will allow you to convert other images to gifs if
>     Tomasz> you REALLY need it. In description of this package there
>     Tomasz> should be : `using GIFs is HIGHLY discouraged due to
>     Tomasz> patent problems.  Consider chosing another format
>     Tomasz> (ex. jpeg or png)'
>
> Just my opinion:
>
> - AFAIK, the patent issues on GIF only apply to certain countries, and
> does not apply to me ;-)

You are wrong. These prograws are in non-free because American
authors licensed them for non-commercial use. They cant
license it DFSG due to patent problems. Wherever you are,
you must obey license.

> - certain features of GIF format (eg animations) cannot be use with
> other formats, eg jpeg or png. Please correct me if I am wrong...
> This proposal would make it harder to create animiate gifs, for
> instance, using GIMP.

Isn't there any format that support animations ?
You only need to be able to put a few pictures into one
file. If it is not very wide-used we can still make gif
from it thru pipe to a2gif.

> - current web browsers currently have problems displaying transparent
> png files currently.

And no browser-developer will spend time on fixing png,
if everyone is using gifs and jpegs. Someone has to stop this circle.
But when woody will be out. This certanely wont be true any more.

> I admit though, that I dont have a description of a2gif convenient but
> don't think it would invalidate any of what I have said.

This was proposal package. It is any program that can make
gif both by pipes and by cli and understand all gif's features.

> Not that I feel very strongly on the above (I don't use GIF much
> myself), but believe these to be valid concerns that other users will
> have.

I dont want any revolution.
We only make list of packages that makes gifs now, and
change most of them to support other formats (it they are
standalone programs) or change main program to support piping
saves (if they are modules) or leave them (there is a year before
this should be done)