Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

 Raul> (a) The package should recommend a virtual package which has a free instance.
 Raul> (b) The package should be in contrib.
 Raul> (c) The reverse link should be represented using enhances.

 Raul> Yeah, I recognize that (a) involves real work, and that (b) and
 Raul> (c) might annoy some people who want things to stay the way
 Raul> they have been.

        Actually, that (a) may not exist.

 Raul> But I think classifying all such relationships into one of
 Raul> these categories is good from the social contract point of
 Raul> view.

        That happens to be your interpretation of the social
 contract. I see the packages in main to be absolutely free
 (fulfilling the social contract about 100% free distribution) while
 retaining the freedom to talk about other packages that are not fee
 (again fulfilling the social contract, as in supporting our users use
 of non-free stuff, amongst other things.

        I would say this muzzling of free packages is a restricvtion
 on the freedom of Debian that I oppose.

        The solution is not to show the relationship to people who do
 not want to hear about it. Not to censor the packages in order to
 impose a particular religious viewpoint.

        manoj
--
 Not to laugh, not to lament, not to curse, but to understand. Spinoza