Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On 1 Dec 1999, Chris Waters wrote:

> Actually, EUDC depends on emacs.  I don't think emacs should suggest
> EUDC (which is what "EUDC enhances emacs" would mean).

I think for Enhances to be (long term) usefull it should not mean the same
as suggests - Enhancing packages should not automatically be selected by a
GUI, but it is an extremely usefull organization feature.

Consider, all ther perl libraries could 'enhance' perl, so it would be
possible to generate a list of all the perl libraries. All C -dev packages
could enhance gcc, python libraries python, etc, etc.

That would be IMHO very usefull, but it is not at all what Wichert is
proposing. It seems to me that having Enhances mean the same thing as
Suggests is really fairly useless - I can't think of a single case where
it would make logical sense for dselect to automatically include some
other package without the first explicitly approving of it..

Jason