Re: Making a NEW area (Re: Intention to Donate troll-ftpd 1.25)

Umm, you seem to have crossposted to lots of places... Let's put this just
in debian-policy, and I'll send a short note to the other lists to bring the
discussion here. I see most of this as a policy discussion, so here it will
be.

If any developer has an objection to this, I'll gladly move elsewhere.

> Date:    Tue, 09 Nov 1999 11:11:29 +0100
> To:      debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-policy@lists.debian.org,
> 	 debian-vote@lists.debian.org, debian-www@lists.debian.org,
> 	 debian-project@lists.debian.org
> From:    Trek Star <trek-lists@trek.eu.org>
> Subject: Making a NEW area (Re: Intention to Donate troll-ftpd 1.25)
>
> I think that the opinion about my personality and what i think have NO
> RELEVANCE for analizing and testing the package that i've developped
> (contributions and other).

I have mixed feelings about that... On the one hand, the code should
demonstrate that the potential developer is a mature programmer. This
would help guarantee a stable, robust and resilliant distribution.

However, developer personality is very definitely relevent. If the
potential developer will put hacky cracky stuff in, there's no way
that person gets in. If the person is known for breaking into things,
again, no way. But in the main, the developer agrees to the Social
Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

If the person doesn't like documenting and doesn't know how to read and
understand things, that's a definite problem, because there will likely
be constant bugs against the package for lack of docs, and without an
ability to do research, will be constantly asking people for things which
are already written, which is also a definite problem. Both of these are
mainly related to personality.

What you have to understand about debian, is that quality is improved
by many things: first, everyone knows who everyone else is, or can
know it. There is absolutely nothing anonymous about debian (but I'm
getting ahead of myself on this point). The people in debian are
generally cooperative folks who know how to work on a team. These are
how this one of many free-software communities operates.

> Infact in the

OK, here is where I break your comment down into individual pieces :)

> true

Are you speaking of an organized religion?

> free software community

So there is only one? I notice you don't say "communities", which shows
an attitude of separatism on your part.

> (not debian)

I see! Only non-debian get into heaven! err, into The One True Free
Software Community :) Sorry, I could -not- resist, because that is
exactly how you're making yourself sound.

> there are a lot of anonymous contributors with really different
> intentions/thoughts.

There are -no- anonymous developers in debian. None. Won't happen.
If you want to be a developer, we get to know exactly who you are.
Got a problem with that? :)

A picture of your drivers license or passport are two forms of acceptable
identification. You must also have (or create) a largish PGP key pair.

HOWEVER... there is nothing that says you cannot help in some way if
you are not a developer. In fact, you can do just about anything
-except- directly upload packages into debian.

> I think that debian must have an UNOFFICIAL area only for distribute
> debian software/contributions/links made by UNAUTHORIZED debian persons
> for all the people that want know/test/make officially this software.

You are most welcome to create and maintain this area yourself, but
it won't be a part of debian without a vote of the developers :)

There is nothing that says you cannot do this.

> The
> scope of this area is to provide a global information in what the world
> (free and not free, politically correct or not, authorized from debian or
> not) offer to debian.

Then it's likely beyond the scope of debian. You are welcome to do it
tho. Got servers and bandwidth? :) It does sound like a good idea, but
debian folx generally scower the planet looking for things to package.
Debian is fairly bloated packages-wise right now :)

You go on to say you're not subscribed to the lists... for your info,
you would have to be subscribed to some lists if you were to become
a developer.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key