Re: Thoughts about src-dep implementation

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 03:48:07PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> In the first case, the *.dsc file is quite sufficient. You just have to keep
> it around. The "random files cluttering up the dirs" is not justified, IMHO,
> as the alternative (copying the information somewhere in the build
> directory) is not more appealing to me: It seems to be more obscure and overly
> complicated, and unnecessary as the information is there in a well defined
> place: If you choose to ignore it and delete the file (or not copying it in
> the first place), you declare that you checked the depends and don't need
> them anymore.
>
> This is different from what you seem to mean above, in which case there
> doesn't necessarily exists a dsc file, and it should not be used. Instead,
> the information should come from the control file. To support
> autogeneration, the information should be considered to be complete only
> after the package build. Is this what you mean?

Basically yes, but in the first instance, most people will be using apt
and the information they need will be handled before they start compiling
package (ie. all the build dependencies will already be satisfied). Also,
there is no reason that the Build-* fields can't be replicated in the
Sources.gz from the archive, or even in the Packages.gz file (probably
better left in Sources.gz) so a .dsc is not always needed.

I'm not arguing for a debian/build-deps file, I don't think it's needed. I
just wanted to clarify some details about how to obtain them and in which
cases they will be needed (assumably the maintainer will always have the
right dependencies, and will be generating them rather than using them, so
there is no need for him to worry about it).

Ben