Re: Draft policy 3.1.0.0 now available

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:56:45PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>      in C or C++. The required packages are called _build-essential_, and an
>      informational list will be published separately from this document.
>
> I don't see that list.

I've been thinking about publishing this list as a task metapackage called
task-build-essential or something.  It would have several advantages:
   * anybody who wishes to build a package needs only install this
     package and whatever the package specifies
   * all build-time dependency implementations get to use the
     *same* list very easily
   * we get the handling of several versions of the list (one
     for stable, one for unstable) for free from the usual release process
   * it will be easy to report bugs in the list: just bug the
     metapackage

What do people think?

I am volunteering to maintain this package unless somebody else wants
it badly.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)