Re: persistence of /usr/doc/$pkg (Was: debhelper: /usr/doc problems again)

Hi,
>>"Brian" == Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

 Joeyh> That seems quite difficult to do. Suppose you have package a
 Joeyh> that is being upgraded and package b that happens to install
 Joeyh> docs into /usr/doc/a.

        This is not an issue, since the files thsat package b installs
 shall be moved to /usr/share/doc/a/*, and still be accesible as
 /usr/doc/a/blah.

        I again stress that this is not a cookie cutter approach. The
 maintainer has the final say, and they should use conflicts if
 required.

 Brian> Another point: If files belonging to package B are moved from /usr/doc/a
 Brian> to /usr/share/doc/a, when installing A, should A move them back again if
 Brian> a is removed?

        This depends on the maintainer. I am not going to do it for my
 packages (most of those do not do this).. Perhaps the new package A
 shouild conflict with older package B's, which would take care of
 this nicely.

 Brian> Now, when the user deletes that 2nd package, will dpkg get confused and
 Brian> delete the symlink?

 >> No. It would indeed try and delete the files, which should be
 >> OK.

 Brian> Say that 2nd package owns the file

 Brian> /usr/doc/2nd/a

 Brian> When removing it, dpkg will see that /usr/doc/2nd/a doesn't
 Brian> exist, and

        It does exist. It is a symlink. It shall be removed.

 Brian> ignore it. The it will try to remove the subdirectory /usr/doc/2nd
 Brian> (actually, its a symlink - does that matter?), since it doesn't realize
 Brian> that any other package is using it at the time.

        I do not think this is a problem.

        manoj
--
 English literature's performing flea. Sean O'Casey on P.G. Wodehouse