Re: debhelper: /usr/doc problems again

Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:
> Package:  debhelper
> Version:  N/A
> Severity: wishlist

>  For example, I found that libpanel-applet0 leaves a single file
>  in its old doc directory (currently unexplainable and unreproducable
>  by the maintainer) preventing the compatibility link to be created.

Seems like a per-package bug.

>  Another example is the latest 'time' package, which doesn't delete
>  the old doc directory on upgrade because of a .dhelp file, resulting
>  in no compatibility link too.

Seems like a per-package or dhelp bug.

>  Some packages (bibtool, cpio, rxvt or even perl-5.005-*) on at least
>  two of the machines I maintain, had links to /usr/share/doc/package
>  (from /usr/doc/package), i.e. not to ../share/doc/package (absolute
>  instead of relative).

None of these packages use debhelper to handle this.

>  The question is, should the migration, for packages which want to
>  do it at all, be enforced? I.e., should the old doc directory be
>  deleted (rm -rf) before dh_installdocs tries to create the link?

I do not want debhelper to do this, because it can lead to data loss. If the
admin has installed something there, I don't want to delete it.

This exactly parallells dpkg's behavior if the last file it knows about is
removed from a directory and yet other files still remain there.

--
see shy jo