Re: [forward] FHS pre-2.1 draft #3 on web site

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 03:03:52PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> I think we should create /opt because the FHS requires it, and
> possibly /opt/README.debian if the FHS allows it, but nothing more.

FHS doesn't allow us to create /opt/README.debian, at least not
without getting the sysadmin to be in control of it.  We could have a
/usr/share/doc/opt/README.debian though.

> Anything else that is created there is entirely the responsibility of
> the sysadmin, and any use the system makes of things under /opt should
> be at the sysadmin's discretion.  No Debian package should make
> assumptions about what it might find there by default.

Actually, it's quite reasonable to assume that valid executables will
be in /opt/bin/, valid man pages in /opt/man/, valid include files in
/opt/include/, valid info files in /opt/info/, and valid library files
in /opt/lib/.

> In other words ``There be Dragons''.  It is in the white uncharted bit
> of our map, so if the sysadmin wants to go there, they'll have to fill
> in the details as they go along.

Of course, this isn't a quote from the FHS.

--
Raul