Re: .dhelp file in /usr/doc stops jserv install, symlink proposal done wrong

Package: dhelp
Version: 0.3.13

Adam Heath wrote:
> Setting up libapache-mod-jserv (1.0-2) ...
> ln: /usr/doc//libapache-mod-jserv: cannot overwrite directory
> dpkg: error processing libapache-mod-jserv (--configure):
> # ls /usr/doc//libapache-mod-jserv -a
> .  ..  .dhelp
>
> Maybe these files should NOT be created in /usr/doc, but in a cache/lib
> dir of some kind.  With this dynamic .dhelp file in place, dpkg didn't remove
> the dir, so creating the symlink fails.
>
> Or, pkgs doing the symlink thing need to deregister themselves in the preinst.

Hm, packages that use doc-base are supposed to call install-docs -r in their
prerm. Presumably, this will de-register them from dhelp and remove the
.dhelp file.

Similarly, dhelp's own docs say:

In <tt>prerm</tt> you should use:<P>

<BLOCKQUOTE><PRE>
if [ -f /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse ]; then
  /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse -d /usr/share/doc/directory
fi
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

But it looks like libapache-mod-jserv does this -- so why are the .dhelp
files still left behind? Bug in dhelp? Some experimentation:

root@kite:/usr/doc>dhelp_parse -d /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse -d /usr/doc/apt/dhelp
dhelp_parse: You can add only directories under /usr/share/doc!
root@kite:/usr/doc>ls -l apt/.dhelp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          549 Feb 15  1999 apt/.dhelp

Well well. So if you had an old prrm that followed what dhelp said to do and
tried to remove the .dhelp files, and you use the current dhelp, it'll just
fail like that.

If dhelp were halfway intelligent, it would continue to let you at lease
remove .dhelp files in /usr/doc. I think this is bug against dhelp.

--
see shy jo