Re: .dhelp file in /usr/doc stops jserv install, symlink proposal done wrong

reassign 44079 libapache-mod-jserv
thanks

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Package: dhelp
> Version: 0.3.13
>
> Adam Heath wrote:
> > Setting up libapache-mod-jserv (1.0-2) ...
> > ln: /usr/doc//libapache-mod-jserv: cannot overwrite directory
> > dpkg: error processing libapache-mod-jserv (--configure):
> > # ls /usr/doc//libapache-mod-jserv -a
> > .  ..  .dhelp
> >
> > Maybe these files should NOT be created in /usr/doc, but in a cache/lib
> > dir of some kind.  With this dynamic .dhelp file in place, dpkg didn't remove
> > the dir, so creating the symlink fails.
> >
> > Or, pkgs doing the symlink thing need to deregister themselves in the preinst.
>
> Hm, packages that use doc-base are supposed to call install-docs -r in their
> prerm. Presumably, this will de-register them from dhelp and remove the
> .dhelp file.
>
> Similarly, dhelp's own docs say:
>
> In <tt>prerm</tt> you should use:<P>
>
> <BLOCKQUOTE><PRE>
> if [ -f /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse ]; then
>   /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse -d /usr/share/doc/directory
> fi
> </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
>
> But it looks like libapache-mod-jserv does this -- so why are the .dhelp
> files still left behind? Bug in dhelp? Some experimentation:
>
> root@kite:/usr/doc>dhelp_parse -d /usr/sbin/dhelp_parse -d /usr/doc/apt/dhelp
> dhelp_parse: You can add only directories under /usr/share/doc!
> root@kite:/usr/doc>ls -l apt/.dhelp
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          549 Feb 15  1999 apt/.dhelp
>
> Well well. So if you had an old prrm that followed what dhelp said to do and
> tried to remove the .dhelp files, and you use the current dhelp, it'll just
> fail like that.
>
> If dhelp were halfway intelligent, it would continue to let you at lease
> remove .dhelp files in /usr/doc. I think this is bug against dhelp.
>
> --
> see shy jo

Actually, no. :(

The .dhelp in libapache-mod-jserv is created by install-docs, and
libapache-mod-jserv DOES call installdocs with -i and -r, except in one
instance.

During prerm, installd-docs -r needs to be called when $1 == upgrade.
Currently, jserv only does this when $1 == remove.

Adam