Re: non-consensus on debug (-g) policy

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 04:16:50PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> When this thread first came up, the point was that the package maintainer
> should have the option to not compile with -g.
>
> That was fine.
>
> However, the final policy depreciates the current practice in favor of
> a new and almost unknown mechanism.
>
> That's not so good:
>
> The way I see it, this whole issue is about optimizing compile time.
> The proposed solution gains some speed but specifies that the the
> maintainer instrument compilation so that debian/rules can say whether
> or not to build with -g.
>
> In many packages, this will be easy.  In some packages, this will be
> irrelevant.  However, in some packages it will be rather difficult.
>
> So: I object to depreciating the current -g + strip mechanism.  I believe
> that we should allow package maintainers to make the decision between
> compilation speed and simplicity.  [I'd be less touchy about this if
> I felt that most developers were aware of this new mechanism and that
> they all approved of it.]

Deprecated does not mean they have to switch. On top of that, in the current
state for some packages it may have been very hard to get them _to_ compile
with -g in order to follow policy.

What matters most, is that there was a consenus, the proposal has already been
forwarded to debian-policy. Bringing this up now, after the discussion period
is already over, is somewhat useless.

Ben