Re: I'm sorry to open another can of worms but.. /usr/share/man transition

Richard Braakman wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > But when they do, they discover they can no longer read alien's man
> > page, becuase their old man browser doesn't grok
> > /usr/share/man. What to do?
>
> They can modify /etc/manpath.config to include /usr/share/man.

So debian's new statement WRT partial upgrades will be "you can install packages
from unstable. However, you may have to edit arbitrary files and change your
system in arbitrary undocumented ways to make them work as you would
expect." ?

Sorry, I can't help but regard this as a huge step backwards. We have
*always* kept packages from unstable working in stable, even during the
libc6 transition, so long as you honor dpkg's dependancies and don't --force
anything. Why are we just giving up now, especially when I've already
proposed a pretty simple fix to this problem?

--
see shy jo