Re: I'm sorry to open another can of worms but.. /usr/share/man transition

Joey Hess wrote:
> Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > But when they do, they discover they can no longer read alien's man
> > > page, becuase their old man browser doesn't grok
> > > /usr/share/man. What to do?
> >
> > They can modify /etc/manpath.config to include /usr/share/man.

> So debian's new statement WRT partial upgrades will be "you can install packages
> from unstable. However, you may have to edit arbitrary files and change your
> system in arbitrary undocumented ways to make them work as you would
> expect." ?

No, we put this in the release notes.  The alternative is to give
every package with manpages a versioned Conflicts with every manpage
reader, or some other construct that expresses the same thing.  We can
do that, but then we'll have to put in the release notes that you have
to upgrade with APT.  The dselect methods won't be able to handle it.

> Sorry, I can't help but regard this as a huge step backwards. We have
> *always* kept packages from unstable working in stable, even during the
> libc6 transition, so long as you honor dpkg's dependancies and don't --force
> anything. Why are we just giving up now, especially when I've already
> proposed a pretty simple fix to this problem?

I wasn't giving up, I was telling you that there is a simple workaround :)

The original plan was, I believe, to make one release with browsers
that can look in /usr/share/man, and start moving manpages the next
release.  This was the plan for hamm!  I thought this had been done
already, I'm disappointed that it hasn't.

I think your propsed fix will not work, due to the limitations of the
current dselect methods.

Richard Braakman