I'm sorry to open another can of worms but.. /usr/share/man transition

Well we arn't getting anywhere at all with a good transition to
/usr/share/doc, but perhaps this will be easier.

I'm concerned about what happens when packages start using /usr/share/man.
Suppose I convert alien to put it's man pages there. Alien is arch
independant and there is no reason someone using stable can't install the
latest version from unstable. But when they do, they discover they can no
longer read alien's man page, becuase their old man browser doesn't grok
/usr/share/man. What to do?

One idea that comes to mind is to make any package that uses /usr/share/man
depend on some package. This might be "man-db (>= 2.3.10-69g)" which is the
first version that support /usr/share/man. Or it might need to be some other
package which itself conflicts with old versions of all the man browsers out
there, to ensure only new ones are installed.

The problem with this idea of course is it means the majority of packages
have a dependancy added to them. This doesn't seem like a large drawback in
my eyes, especially because the average package depends on (checks) 2.57
packages already and it dpkg seems to be handling that fine.

What do people think?

--
see shy jo