Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

Hi,

 Brian> Yes, the headers under /usr/include should match the
 Brian> current kernel version installed(using package managment of
 Brian> course).

 Manoj> What do you mean by version? I have 6 kernel images
 Manoj> installed, and 3 kernel source pacakges. Which version is
 Manoj> the one that should be in there? What happens when I reboot
 Manoj> into a different version? What happens when I get a new
 Manoj> kernel source package?

 Ben> For Joe Average User, I believe the latest kernel version
 Ben> installed

        Latest version of what? The sources? Or the kernel-header
 package? or what? And what does it have to do with the kernel-image
 they happen to be running? Of the kernel-image they are going to be
 running tomorrow? What purpose does the test serve anyway? If it is
 that closely related to the kernel version running, then it should
 fail miserably when one upgrades the kernel. Is that the case?

 Ben> should be where /usr/include/linux and asm refer to. This makes the
 Ben> least amount of pain, as most users do not have multiple kernels they
 Ben> switch between.

        I think you are wrong. Most people do keep at least two kernel
 images -- one for backup, in case the new image failes.

        Unless these technical issues are addressed (the best way is
 for the config script for the software to ask for the location of the
 kernel headers for the kernel that the software is being targetted
 for, if indeed this tight a coupling is required, and then build),
 the software is broken. I do not want to break Debian to pander to
 broken software.

        manoj
--
 A good USENET motto would be: "Together, a strong community."
 "Computers R Us." "I'm sick of programming, I think I'll just screw