Re: menu, translation, etc

On Jul 08, joost witteveen <joostje@cistron.nl> wrote:

 >> Very, very bad. Most gnome/kde programs already have translations. Do
 >> you plan to override them? Or do you plan to prune unneeded translations
 >> from the menu package?
 >I don't plan to do anything with them. They sit in their own
 >section, seperate from the Debian menu tree.
You are right, I think this is a problem with the debian menu system.
It should not need duplicate data for these program but get the needed
information from the native menu entry which comes with the package.

 >>  >So, I say that using the translation support from gnome/kde's menu
 >>  >entry files is not the right way in Debian.
 >> I don't agree. Most packages already come with a translated menu if
 >> there is something needing translation.
 >Well, then I would like you to point out to just one such package.
/usr/share/apps/Productivity/gnumeric.desktop, but it is a GNOME menu.

 >But, I would just like to say why I think we shouldn't put the translations
 >in the menu entry files: that way the debian menu tree will basically
 >always be mixed-language (for at least some languages), and entries like
 >"Dwww Konfiguratie"  will basically indefinately live alongside
 >"Lilo Config",   as some entries are translated while others are not.
Why that would be different with your system?

--
ciao,
Marco